And so we bid farewell to another day of Summer 2010. The day of the summer solstice to be exact. One of the hottest days I’ve had all summer, frankly!
I began my day with watching the sky change colour. I stood by the window and let the cool breeze of daybreak wash over me while I watched the jagged skyline above the mountains change from a deep inky blue, to a soft grey, to a dull yellow and finally an unbroken, sunny expanse of perfect sky blue.
Was I feeling highly spiritual, watching the breathtaking beauty of nature unfold before me? Or was I waiting for the new day to bring to me my Prince Charming galloping on a unicorn, down a ray of sunlight and into my arms?
PFFFFT! Quit the cheesy talk. The truth is, I had spent the night with Edward Cullens. Yep, not one, but many teeny tiny Edward Cullens, feasting off my blood, which I could not help but give to them.
Jealous, huh? Wait till you can’t sleep all night because you’re donating blood for the advancement of several generations of those blood-sucking little beasties- MOSQUITOES.
I hate them for robbing me of my sleep. But while I was idly browsing the ‘net, I came across a bunch of stuff about those little bloodsuckers. Turns out they’re pretty interesting. (After all, even Dracula was pretty cool!)
Feast on this:
- Only female mosquitoes bite. They use the protein from your blood to lay eggs. (Oh, how I wish that they were feminists. At least I would be saved.) But wait a second…
- Women are more likely to get bitten than men. (Even mosquitoes know that a woman is a woman’s worst enemy.)
- More than one million people die each year from mosquito-borne diseases. (We could so do without them in our ecosystem!)
- Mosquitoes prefer blondes to brunettes. (Yay!)
- Dark clothing attracts more mosquitoes than light-coloured clothing.(Make your blonde best friend wear black the next time you go out. Natural repellent!)
- Biting activity increase by 500 times when there is a full moon.(Guess they’re related to werewolves, too.)
- The more carbon dioxide and lactic acid you produce, the more likely you are to attract a mosquito. Overweight people and very active or fidgety people produce more of this.(All the more reason to lose some weight.)
- Electronic bug-zapping machines hardly kill any mosquitoes. They kill more of the bugs that birds like to eat.(Get rid of your annoying blue machine today!)
Why am I bombarding you with mosquito facts, of all things?
Learn to appreciate the beauty of Nature in those little beasties. They have a lot in common with Edward Cullen, y’know. 😛